Wednesday, April 2, 2008

On My Mind

"One, two-three-four-five, Badgers, don't take no jive. Six, seven-eight-nine-ten, back it up and do it again."

That's been running through my head since approximately 8 a.m. this morning. It's basically the only cheer I remember from intramural basketball, or would it be intermural, from sixth grade. There were three schools in our district, so probably five teams total vying for the championship title. We only had one sixth grade class at our school. We were "Biberstein's Badgers," because of course, the name of the team had to start with the same letter as the teacher's name. The previous year, we'd been Mann's Mohawks.

But Badgers? I dunno. Those badgers are known for being some pretty fierce dribblers. Something tells me that collectively, we weren't a bunch of creative sorts.

Onto the point of the remininscing is that I was the cheerleader captain. Yeah, it makes me laugh and wonder what happened to me between then and now. I was outgoing, friendly, and obviously convincing enough to make everyone vote me as captain.

Quite convincing I must have been, and confident, too. I couldn't do a cartwheel. Handstand? Nope. Splits? Hah. I started my career of being a chubby girl a few years before that. There are ways my body didn't bend then and will never bend. I didn't master a cartwheel until I was nearly an adult and it was pointed out that my starting position had my hands at wrong angles. I don't know why I never figured it out, or that no one else ever pointed it out.

I wasn't about to do backbends, either. We had mats in the elementary gym to do tumbling on during recess. A girl named Vicki once spotted me in a backbend and dropped me on my head. Talk about hurting like a son of a bitch. The mats were worn thin and there was concrete under that.

I had the saddleshoes and pom-poms, so that might have been how I was elected into my position. Some moms got together and ordered special cheerleading skirts for us and had t-shirts made with a little cheerleader on front and our names on the back. I'm guessing my dad shelled out a good $25 for intramural basketball, for crying outloud.

The one thing I do remember the most is that a boy named Gary, who I secretly had a crush on, got injured while burning trash. A bottle exploded or something, and he was all patched up on his shoulder, which we could all see while he wore his basketball jersey. He was one of our best basketball players, so there was reason enough to worry. But I worried because I had the warm tinglies for Gary.

The night of our last game, which I think we won, my dad took us to McDonald's. There walked in Gary, still in his basketball uniform. I could see the first aid tape and gauze covering his burns. He walked by, nudged into me, smiled and said hi.

I swooned right there in McDonald's.

Gary was my friend. We sat near each other on the bus. He liked to sing "Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones. Now dat's the workin' of da lord," like from the Merry Melody cartoon in a black boy voice. We played kickball in his yard, had water fights, and generally just hung out and had fun. Well, that was until high school. To say he fell into the wrong crowd is kinda funny since we were such a small community and there really wasn't a lot of trouble to be found or "bad kids." But that's sort of what happened. We stopped talking mainly because while it was fine to talk and joke around on the middle school bus, not a word was uttered on the high school bus. We sat in silence on the ride to school. That's when I lost my friend the first time.

Gary died in 2002 at the age of 32 from a heart attack. From what I heard, he'd gotten his head out of his ass, stopped the drug use, got married, and had a couple kids. He was a little league coach, worked hard, and loved his family. The heart attack, again from hearsay, was attributed to the drug abuse.

I didn't go to the funeral or calling. I couldn't bring myself to do it. And honestly, I don't think anyone knew or even remembered that at one time, Gary had been one of my bestest buds. Those years had long passed, and I was devastated by the news. Not only because I'd lost a classmate, but because it was a huge reminder of my own mortality. There one minute, gone the next.

I still think of Gary sometimes, as his house that he grew up in is just down the street from where I live now. I wonder if he ever knew that I had a huge crush on him, or if he ever pondered why we stopped being friends.

But I do think of him, the sheepish look when he bumped into me at McDonald's, smiled and said hi. That's the Gary I remember, the one who played basketball while I cheered.

"One, two-three-four-five, Badgers, don't take no jive...."

2 comments:

Eric said...

I totally feel ya.

I've had death all around from when I was 5 till, obviously, the present and that should have made me wakeup and realize exactly how mortal I am and it doesn't really get any better.

A couple of things happened all in the course of a few years to make me change the way I look at these things.

First, Dana Plato, the girl who played "Kimberly" on the TV show "Diff'rent Strokes" committed suicide because she had had drug and other criminal problems and thought there was nothing left for her to come back to; this hit me because I had the hugest crush on her from the time I was a kid and even though I was into my 30's when she died, it made me wonder if it would have made any difference for her to hear that someone in the world was her very own cheering section and wanted her to succeed regardless of any failures.(note, I have the same thing for Winona Ryder...but she doesn't seem very suicidal or like she's making a drastic turn for the worse..she IS getting a letter from me sometime soon though, believe that)

The next thing was actually facing my own mortality as a parent/husband, if only temporarily. About 5 years ago I started having pains in an area that most guys don't want pain; yeah, right there. Upon checking the medical websites the symptoms I was exhibiting seemed to indicate cancer. That's all I needed to read since I had a small lump, etc. so my idea of living forever was suddenly cut extremely short. The doctors never figured out what the lump was as it had mostly disappeared by the time they got to look at it through the ultrasound machine and the pain went away right after that. Either way, it put the thought that there were soo many dreams of mine that I hadn't even tried to achieve that it was time to start on some and gave me a sense of urgency in living life to the fullest.

We always say that we live life like there's going to be no tomorrow but if you truly believe that there might not be a tomorrow and you have a good reason to do so, the attitude's do not match. One is light hearted, the other is complete and utter desperation.

Add a few more deaths of close friends(including one that I had been trying to locate for ages only to discover 1 month after his death he had been here on Myspace on a friend's friends list) and such and I realized I needed to change how I was living. I decided from then on that if I had feelings for someone I was going to tell them even if they didn't feel the same for me because it seemed too important to simply brush aside as something that would be insignificant in a person's life. Instead it seemed that telling someone you really dig them could brighten their day, and, who knows, possibly save a life.

I know I'm a bit special because my wife doesn't have any problems with me wanting/loving another woman and so I can just blurt these things out without fearing that I'm going to lose my marriage but there should be some way for "strictly" married people to tell old friends that they really were loved when they were kids and that their childhood wasn't as lonely as it may have seemed. Kinda like that old "footprints" story all the religious people use, only without the invisible friend.

Of course, I typically defuse anything I say by first stating that my brain is basically forcing me to say this and that they don't have to feel any such thing for me because my goal is the expression of my inner feelings, not necessarily needing the other person to validate those feelings. Once they know then the ball is in their court as to how they want to act on it, if at all, and maybe I will inspire them to feel that same urgency in life.

That being said and learning a lesson from your friend Gary... you're cute, have a great sense of humor and an awesome perspective, and your husband is very lucky to have you and I hope he realizes that...;) (I also hope he realizes I'm not going to break up your marriage if he happens to read this..heh)

Oh, Pshaw said...

Validation is always a great thing.

Thank you. =)