Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Blog? What Blog?

Yesterday, I arrived home after work around 2:30ish. I went around and tended to some laundry, a general picking up, and slopping the hogs (the dog and cats). I sat down on the couch, and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get warm. I'd commented several times at work that I was cold. I was assured by both of the girls in the office area that it was not cold, and in fact, they were a bit on the warm side in short sleeves.

I felt particularly pissy and achey, too. I figured I was a little stressed because my shoulders and neck were singing.

I covered up with a blanket after checking the thermostat. It was a balmy 73 in the house. Despite huddling up on the couch, I was still shivering. At 4:30, I crawled into bed in a sweatshirt and jeans, and burrowed under three heavy blankets. Nope, still couldn't get warm.

At 6, the kids got home from football practice. I instructed them to bring me a cup of hot water and a packet of Thera-flu. At 8:30, I was still miserably achey, and I asked for one ibuprofen. By 10, the boogers were still not in bed. I knew this because I heard them arguing in the living room. I beckoned for a couple night-time Aleve. I gave careful consideration to over-medicating myself, but all I wanted was some relief.

I woke up sometime around 3ish, sweating like a whore in church on Sunday. Not only do I look like something the cat dragged in this morning, but I smell like it, too.

I didn't want to have to call into work today, but I did. I don't know who I have to thank for giving me the plague, but here's a big freakin' THANK YOU to the bearer of said germs. I never get sick like this. I might feel a little poorly, but very seldom do I lie in bed if it's not for sleeping at nighttime purposes. Whatever this particular strain of flu is, it's kicked my ass.

My husband thinks it's because I'm not used to working outside the home and keeping up with everything else around here, including football games twice a week. I've managed to get 8 hours of sleep a night. I haven't had any booze to speak of, other than about a third of a bottle of wine over the weekend. I was too tired to stay up and drink more than that.

The jury is still out on this whole working outside the home thing. I like the extra money. I like the idea of serving a purpose outside of these four walls. But, there's always a but....but, it seems like either I'm working or cleaning. Working or doing laundry. Working or stopping at the grocery, so I can get home and repeat it all the next day. I have a great amount of respect for single working women because that's about what I am with my husband gone all week for work.

I suppose I need to try harder to get into a routine, and the difference is that typically, I waited for inspiration to write to strike. I need to train myself to write when I have the time, I suppose.

I'm sure I'll get it figured out eventually, but for now, I'm going to hold down the couch for the remainder of the day, drink plenty of fluids, and take some good meds.

4 comments:

Eric said...

I got the same plague late last week. It was mostly over in under 24 hours. Right now I'm still having some congestion but nothing as bad as that first day. I used this cup-like thing that is used to pour water through one nostril and out the other. It sounds disgusting, painful and a million other things but it works like a charm and isn't nearly as bad as people imagine it to be. They're called 'neti cups' if you ever get curious.

Oh, Pshaw said...

Yep, yep...neti pot. I have one and use it religiously. Works miracles for sinus problems, which I've always been blessed contending with.

And, you're right, it's not nearly as bad as one might imagine, but strangely enough, I was way more intrigued than disgusted by the concept. I remember my grandpa snorting a palm full of salt water that he'd mix up.

Also, while there's no real proof that ear candling works, I use them if the kids or I get an earache. I'm a full promoter of homeopathic remedies, and I hate to take meds unless it's necessary...like last night.

Kristen Twedt said...

I'm sorry you're feeling like hammered dog mess, but hopefully it's brief bug and not the dreaded flu. Obviously, being out and about around more people will expose you to the masses and the lovely contagions that come with. Get some rest, drink up, and don't worry. It'll all be there waiting on you when you get your land legs. Hope you feel better, gal.

Oh, Pshaw said...

Kristen - thanks gal. I just remembered that our warehouse guy was feeling bad last Thurs. and didn't come to work at all on Friday. He's probably the Typhoid Mary I should thank. He plops down in my office and eats his lunch on most days.