Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Channeling Stuart Smalley

I had the interview today. I have to say it was the most challenging interview of sorts that I've ever had. All six women who were interested in the two positions showed up. We were initially interviewed by the owner via phone and email from TX. Essentially, we went in for the office staff to show us around, show us the building, meet the other staff, etc. They probably also wanted to make sure we didn't show up in tube tops and cut-offs before offering employment sight unseen.

I made an effort to speak up and try to ask intelligent questions. I'm guessing if you're applying for a customer service position, it's not a wise thing to appear about as personable as a bump on a log. I'll admit when I walked in ten minutes early, and almost everyone was there, I about resigned to my defeat.

I was thinking c'mon now, I haven't worked in an office for 18 years. Why would they want me?

But I put on the happy face, remembered that I vowed to put on the big girl panties, and I gave myself one of those SNL Stuart Smalley pep talks. "I'm good enough. Smart enough. And doggone it, people like me!"

Fortunately, I kept that as an internal dialogue. But I have to admit, it was odd standing around there with these other women knowing that only two were going to get the jobs.

We were told we'd know something by the end of the day. So, I came home, made some phone calls, sent some texts, worked on my column, and headed off to the tanning bed. When I returned, I had a voicemail.

I got the job - part-time hours, but a full week next week for training. I'll be taking phone calls, placing orders, checking up on payments, and general office duties. Sometime after October, I'll be offered full-time or another person will be hired.

I was torn between doing a touchdown dance or puking in the trashcan.

It's been a long time since I worked. A long, long time.

So now instead of working on everyone's last nerve, I'll be working at a job outside my home and bringing home some bacon. I hope a little change does me some good.

Where's Stuart when I need him?

5 comments:

eyes_only4him said...

Stewart Smiley lives here and is running 4 our US Senate seat..hahahahaha

GREAT JOB...Im so glad u got your job, thats fuckin awesome..

can u get me a job there?

Shit I would love a job..sonsabitches.

Oh, Pshaw said...

This is selling motorcycles and other power sport things with wheels. I'm hoping I find that it's ideal as I think it will be.

I'm still scared pissless.

Eric said...

I'll give you a HUGE hint on how to know if you're going to get a job before the interview is over.

Ask "What will my duties be in this position?" and then listen to what they say. If they say "well, you'll be doing blah..." you've probably got the job but if they don't include the word "you", then they're not thinking specifically about you in that position.

just a kat said...

Congrats!! You'll do fine.

Oh, Pshaw said...

Eric, it was the strangest interview in the history of the world, I think. Being herded through with other potential candidates, and by people who were only giving their opinion, didn't really help to give me any indication.

Though the co-workers who sort of screened us said that I appeared to be professional, had it together, and a good head on my shoulders. Hence, I must have done something right. Yah me!

Kat, thanks. So far, so good. It's definitely an adjustment.